This is a Latin inspired plantain dish, the plantain canoe is a ripe sweet plantain stuffed with ground beef, topped with shredded cheese and garnished with cilantro. It’s a wonderful combination of flavors and goes perfectly with a side of avocado. Let’s get started.
- Ground Beef- 1 lbs
- Green Bell Pepper- 1/2 pepper diced
- Red Bell Pepper- 1/2 pepper diced
- Yellow Onion- 1/2 onion diced
- Garlic Cloves- 4 cloves crushed and minced
- Tomatoe Paste- 3 oz
- Salt- to taste
- Black Pepper- to taste
- Onion Powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin- 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Sweet Plantains(ripe plantain- yellow with black spots)- 4
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend- 1 1/2 cup
- Cilantro- a bunch
- Pre heat pan on medium high heat and add olive oil to pan, sauté the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow onions and garlic cloves. Add ground beef and seasonings, cook thoroughly then add the tomatoe paste and mix well. Drain excess oil when done.
- Next, peel your plantains and fry whole in vegetable oil on medium high heat about 8 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, slice plantains lenghtwise but not all the way through, you want to make a pocket in the middle to stuff with the ground beef. Now, spoon ground beef mixture in the center of the plantain and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake in oven safe dish at 400 degrees for 8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Now time to serve, plate your plantain canoe and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
And we’re done! All that work will be worth it the moment you bite into that canoe. Serve with a fresh slice of avocado or a side of rice. Enjoy, until next time!