Spanish Chicken Stew -or- Pollo Guisado is a staple dish in my Latin household. It’s tender, full of flavor, and perfect on a mountain of rice. Today I’m going to share with you all this easy chicken dish can be made any night of the week in under and hour. Let’s get to it.
Spanish Chicken Stew
- Chicken Breasts- 2 breasts sliced horizontally 1/2″ thick
- Baby Potatoes- 8 cut in halves
- Carrots- 2 peeled and cut in 1/4″ slices
- Red Bell Pepper- 1/2 Pepper diced
- Green Bell Pepper- 1/2 Pepper diced
- Yellow onion- 1/2 medium onion diced
- Garlic Cloves- 5 garlic cloves pressed
- Cilantro- handful of cilantro roughly chopped
- Tomatoe Paste- 4oz can
- Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning- 3 tsp**
- Goya Chicken Flavor Powder- 1 packet**
- Goya Sazón with Coriander and Annatto- 1 packet**
- Coarse Kosher Salt- 1 tsp
- Table Grind Black Pepper- 1/2 tsp
- First slice and dice all your veggies, sauté on medium high heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Now, lightly season your chicken with Salt and Pepper. Add 2 tbsp of Veggie Oil to your pan and toss the sliced chicken breasts into the pot on medium high heat about 8 minutes each side until a golden crust forms (chicken is not meant to be fully cooked, it’s going back into the pot to boil). Remove chicken and set aside.
- Now the final step, toss your veggies back in with your tomatoe paste, 1/2 cup of water and the Goya Adobo All Purpose Sesasoning, Goya Chicken Flavor Powder, Goya Sazon with Coriander and Annatto, salt and pepper. Mix well until the paste is a smooth base for your chicken and veggies. Then continue by tossing your chicken, baby potatoes and carrots into the party. Cover with enough water to submerge. Simmer on medium for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
Once the sauce has thickened a bit and your chicken and veggies are fork tender, you’re ready to serve. I prefer this Latin Chicken Stew with white rice or you might prefer a nice crusty bread on the side for dipping into that delicious sauce. Either way, ENJOY! Until next time.
**Alternatives to my Spanish seasoning if it’s a little hard to find:
- Goya All Purpose Seasoning is just an equal combination of Salt, granulated garlic, oregano, black pepper and turmeric.
- Sazon with Coriander and Annatto packets contain: ground coriander, ground cumin, ground annatto seeds (achiote) or turmeric, garlic powder, salt, oregano, ground black pepper
- You can replace the Chicken Flavor Packet with Chicken Stock as your liquid base and you will achieve a wonderful flavor in your Stew.