I found a local that sells blue crabs by the dozen and I couldn’t pass it up. Today I’m going to be making a crab boil with a combination of seasonings that are going to possess these crabs with flavor from the inside out. Let’s get started.
Blue Crab Boil
- Live Blue Crabs- 1 dozen
- Cracked black pepper- 2 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper- 3 tsp
- Red Pepper Flakes-1 tsp
- Kosher Salt- 2 tsp
- Paprika- 3 tsp
- Onion Powder- 2 tsp
- Garlic Powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander- 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves- 5 leaves
- Place your crabs in the sink and give them a good wash. I take the sink hose and spray them with water. Once your done, with your tongs place them in a container deep enough so they can’t jump out.
- Grab the biggest pot you own, I use a tall deep soup pot. Fill pot 3/4 of the way with water, add all your seasonings and begin to boil water.
- Once the water is at a rolling boil, take your container filled with crabs and using your tongs drop them in one by one. Boil for about 7-10 minutes until the color of the shell changes to red. Do not over cook as the crab meat will get tough and will not be flaky and tender.
- Remove crabs using your tongs once again and place on your serving dish, serve with lemon peels or melted butter for dipping.
That’s all there is to it. Now sit down, put on a bib and dig in! Enjoy and until next time.
**I cook this outside with my single burner propane stove to avoid the seafood smell taking over my entire home.
**These shells are tough to crack make sure you have your seafood cracker tool and seafood forks on hand.