I’m Latin and a staple food in my culture is empanadas. They come with all kinds of fillings meat, chicken, shrimp or even cheese. Today I made simple beef empanadas. I’m going to share with you this wonderful, simple fried delight. Let’s get started!
- Ground Beef- 1 lb
- Red Bell Pepper- 1/4 pepper diced
- Green Bell Pepper- 1/4 pepper diced
- Garlic- 4 cloves crushed and minced
- Yellow Onion- 1/4 onion diced
- Sofrito- 1 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Ground Black Pepper- to taste
- Onion Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Empanada Discs- package of 10 large (can be found in the frozen aisle at the market)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Slice and dice all your peppers, onions and garlic.
- Preheat pan at medium high heat with a small amount of oil, sauté your veggies and sofrito for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile season your ground beef with the list of seasonings above and toss in pan with your sautéed veggies , mix well and cook ground beef until cooked thoroughly. Drain and set aside.
- Now preheat about 1 1/2″ of oil at medium high heat and let’s put together our empanadas. Place 2 tbsp of your ground beef mixture in the center of your empanada disc, then proceed to carefully fold over and line up the edges evenly and push down around the edges with a fork to seal them.
- Fry about 3-5 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel.
And that’s all there is to it folks! Hope you guys can enjoy these crispy, fried little treasures. Until next time friends.