I was bracing myself for our latest windy visitor Hurricane Matthew and I decided to bake a shepherds pie to enjoy indoors on a rainy day. What’s better than some comfort food on a day where your stuck indoors with a loved one? Let’s get started friends.
- Ground Beef- 2 lbs
- Potatoes- 4 large or 6 medium
- Carrots- 2 diced
- Yellow onions- 1/2 diced
- Garlic- 6 cloves crushed & minced
- Red pepper- 1/4 pepper diced
- Green pepper- 1/4 pepper diced
- Tomato paste- 4 oz can
- Flour- 2 tbsp
- Cumin- 2 tsp
- Oregano- 2 tsp
- Coriander- 1 tsp
- Freshly Ground Black pepper- to taste
- Kosher salt- to taste
- Paprika- 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Milk- 1/4 cup
- Butter- 3 tbsp
- Garlic powder- 1/4 tsp
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese- 1/4 cup
- Chicken Stock- 2 cups
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and let’s start off with prepping all your veggies, chop & dice your onions, carrots, peppers, garlic. Peel your potatoes and cut into 1/4″ chunks and set aside in pot with enough water to cover.
- Now pre heat your sauté pan at medium high heat with 2 tbsp of EVOO and sauté your all your veggies excluding the garlic for 5 minutes until softened then add garlic for an additional 3 minutes.
- Next add your ground beef, your seasonings and mix well. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add the tomatoe paste and chicken stock, mix well. Then proceed to add the flour to thicken your meat mixture. Lower the heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
- Now let’s finish our potatoes So we can get this pie in the oven. Boil potatoes until tender, remove and mash with milk and butter add garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Last but not least, take your casserole dish scoop in your meat mixture and add your mashed potatoes on top. Flatten it out with your spoon and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes uncovered. And voila your finished.
**You may add corn or peas to your meat mixture. It’s quite yummy.
There you have it, shepherds pie for that rainy day that makes you crave delicious comfort food ! I hope you all enjoy it see you next time 👋🏼